Sunday, November 30, 2014

Even THINKING This Would Get You Horse Whipped in MY Day!

Okay, so during a service at my Unitarian church, Michael Servetus was mentioned as a guy (in history) that read the Bible and noticed there was no call for us to accept a "Holy Trinity" in our theology. So he printed a pamphlet to help people realize their mistake call "On The Errors of the Trinity". This promptly got him on the sh*t list of several people, and the Christian version of a fatwa was called as a response. Upshot: M.S. = BBQ

This got me to thinking about the things that have gotten people riled up to call for a lynching (or at least a sever beating) for offending the public's sensibilities.

Being an old guy, I search my memory for things that people held near and dear when I was a child. We are talking about the 50's here.

What I remember personally is this:


  • "Whites and Blacks do not mix" (not talking about laundry here)
  • There was a weird attitude towards "Jews". Tried to figure that one out, but never could make any sense of it.
  • "Only people of low morals get divorced"
  • I am pretty sure everybody "loved the lord with all their heart" at least in public.
  • Homosexual people only existed in Europe
These are a few of the things things I remember. I'm sure generations before mine have other forms of behavior that were demanded from people in general. The further back you go, the sillier they seem. Yet, people lived and died on 'The Rules'.


No comments:

Post a Comment