Sunday, November 1, 2009

Odds and Ends

A couple of items of interest in the past day or two; at church, our speaker today (a very witty and intelligent man called Del Galt) made a mention in passing about a time when friends could debate a topic, and afterwards, smile and have coffee together.

This connects to a conversation I had with a friend earlier in the morning on the subject of polarizing politics. "What occurs to me," I said "is that two friends can have a heated argument about something neither of them has any control over, even to the point of beating the crap out of each other. And the world is just the same as it was before they spoke."

Makes me want to bring out Grannies admonition to stay away from religion and politics in polite company.

2 comments:

  1. Ask Ken B. He and I argue to the point of nuclear threats, then hug and have dinner. If you are a UU, discussion (read: arguments) are part of the package, but civil disagreement and fights are two separate things! Or, at least I wish they were.

    ReplyDelete