Tuesday, January 19, 2010

De-Bugging


Here's some good news and some bad news. Which do you want first? The good news? OK:

We haven't had roaches or ants in our house in at least 15 years.

Now the bad news.

Our house may be a toxic waste pit.


A long long time ago (around 15 years), our house began to get German Cockroaches (the little brown roaches) (LBR). How did I know they were German Cockroaches? They were wearing the armbands and sounded like Clink from Hogan's Heroes.

In alarm, I contacted a guy I knew from a business breakfast club I was a member of. "He" was Joe. When he stood to introduce himself each week, Joe simply said "I kill bugs". In my predicament, I felt sure Joe was the man for me.


Joe laid out a plan to get rid of the LBR, and it was a tough plan, Joe was the Saddam Hussein of the bug world. "I'm using the most powerful chemical allowed by law" Joe would say. He showed up regularly to lay down the wrath of Joe on the LBR. Sure enough, before long, they were gone.


I thought we could use some touch up after a year or so, I called his number to arrange it. I was told Joe was no longer among the living as he died of cancer. Sad, but determined to not let the bugs back in, we used the referral Joe's wife gave us. I'm guessing those folks either closed or also got cancer, as they stopped calling us after a while too.


Fast-forward 12 years.


No bug man has been in my house, I have not treated it with over the counter sprays, and yet, the only time we see a roach, it is a large one, and it is in it's death throes calling out Jooooeee!!!


Well, I've seen a LBR, and I'm ready to get on the war path. We called an outfit well reviewed on-line, and the nice representative explained they no longer use deadly chemicals, instead chrysanthemums and mostly outdoors! 'Can't hurt mammals or even dogs!

They also explained that you sign a one year contract and they come around every other month.

Since we now have 2 houses, that adds $800. to the budget of maintaining them! All this because a Little Brown Roach popped his head out of a book!

No comments:

Post a Comment