Friday, January 8, 2010

Early Connections

Reading a story where a man is looking back on his childhood to connect where meeting someone like himself kick started his life and life's work. In this case the man was a scientist, so as a kid, I suppose you would say he was a geek (in today's lingo).

In my case, it would have been finding friends as interested in music as I was (as a kid). That happened early. I played guitar backing a girl in my class in singing "Downtown"at a school talent show in 1964 (I was 11). A few guys were trying to get something going, and asked me to join with them. The playing I did with them didn't last but a few months, but because of it, I realized I needed band mates and got some guys I was already friends with to take lessons, etc. We jammed in my basement nearly every weekend.

When that folded, I got with another group of guys from my old neighborhood and got in a band with them. It all becomes a series of one thing leading to another after that. When I got to Houston in 1972, I knew how to network. I promoted a weekly jam/get together called Montrose Musicians Workshop. It lasted 6-8 weeks and that got me and many others acquainted and playing together. I took off with some of them to Austin and formed a band that lasted 6 months. Again, another stair step. I came back from Austin and found an index card on the bulletin board at the local music store. "Working band seeks keyboard player". Answering that card kept me busy the next 4 years...

No comments:

Post a Comment