Saturday, August 13, 2011

Mountains and Courage

It has been said we are each born with a mountain to climb. This metaphor alone has been something I have meditated on for 30 years. The challenges we each face in our lives can be great, (steep) or unusual (blazing our own trail) or any number of other descriptions. I suspect most of us would agree that there is a "mountain".

I pair that image with 'courage' because that's what it takes to make something of this time we have here. Nobody said it would be easy, or if they did, they lied.

The combination of the mountain and the courage is what keeps bringing me back. It would be simple to think "the more difficult the mountain, the more courage it takes". Try it my friend, you will find that premise quickly shot down.

There is also the backpack metaphor, I have met small people carrying large heavy backpacks. Add the backpack and you have enough mental, spiritual work to do for at least another 10 years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment