Thursday, August 25, 2011

You are What You Do?!

I hear a person starting out in our society should look forward to working 18 different jobs in their life. Wow! I'm glad that's not me. I wonder how anyone can get good at something if you trade careers every... let's see, (carry the one), couple of years or so on average.

That got me thinking about the subject of work and how it is tied to our identity (most men anyway). What you Be is who you Are. "I am a _________. Many people I meet say that sentence and I still don't know what they Do to Be that. We're in an age of tech specialization . Even after they tell me their title, I don't get it. Not my world.

The jobs I've done: delivered Chinese food, worked a factory assembly line, built a house, waited tables, I did those before I got my Real job (which most people don't consider a real job). Being a musician/entertainer. 'Did that for a living for 7 years (age 20-27). Then I got started on my second career, piano technician. 'Pretty much done that ever since (age 27- present). Still paying the bills, so I'm hoping to keep it going another 10 years or so. But, if it should peter out, what next? A mystery to me...

No comments:

Post a Comment