Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Gran Torino

NOT!



This Clint Eastwood film was recommended to me by a co-worker, a young man born in another land, living here since late teen-age. If you have seen the movie, you can probably guess why he liked it so much and wanted me to see it.

We all have memories of Clint's film life shooting bad guys, delivering lines that have wedged themselves into the lexicon. The advertising (of his greatest hits) on the DVD reminds you in case you were off the planet the past 30 years or so.

Sometimes the best way to see a film is to know as close to nothing about it as possible. In this case I was eminently qualified. I will not get into nitty-gritty with details, because I want to share the joy of surprise about it.

I will say this for it's themes; "Gran Torino" has:

Sin

Redemption

Salvation

Martyrdom

and a host of other broad, reaching lessons.


BONUS! My main man Jami Cullum sings the theme tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoLc43YuuTw

1 comment: