Sunday, May 24, 2009

Children of the Recession?


'Been seeing the TV "news" programs featuring this title, and the first thing I thought of was the pitch meeting. "Let's see, what can we do? . . . done the financial crises to death. . . we need something with Innocent Children suffering. . . I've got it! Children suffering in the financial crises!"


So here they were, kids who had to be told they had to cut down from going to the mall 3 X per week. "Gonna have to wait a bit til Dad gets a new job to buy those $160 sport shoes. Some teens were even told THEY would have to get a job to buy their own toys, etc.


With rare exception, I did not hear anything that truly broke my heart, and I'm a softy when it's the real thing.


If this is sacrifice, I must have come up in the depression and didn't know it. Anybody remember the mid-to-late 60's?


I started earning my own money working after school when I was 11 (I lied and told the super market boss I was 13). 'Made a buck an hour, worked as much as 20 hours a week. Talk about wet behind the ears! I didn't have any idea what was going on... But I figured it out.


I read a great quote last week: "The easiest way to teach your children about money is don't have any".

5 comments:

  1. Here's my problem:Each of your posts make me want to have a convesation with you about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, your comment is . . . you'd like to make comments?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since I was born during The Great Depression, I have a different set of experiences to reference when it comes to wants, needs, entitlerment. My experience teaching youngsters also gave me an eye on the generations that may be different than others'. I agree with your ending quote. It worked for me! TTYL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. socio economics still plays big in it. The young man that works for me was raised like I was: If you want something, don't hold your hand out and wait for it, go work for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's a paradox for you:
    We want our children to have empathy and understanding of pain and hard work, but we don't want them to have pain or to have to work hard. Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete