Friday, May 22, 2009

Time Machine Trip



I enjoy fantasizing about time travel and what I would do if I could go back a mere 50 years.

This began several years ago when I ordered a medium drink at a Whataburger and was handed a 32 oz cup.
For those of you who don't understand what I'm talking about, drink sizes then:

small: 8oz
medium: 12oz
large: 16oz

As any red-blooded American knows, drink sizes now:

Small: 16oz
Medium: 32oz
Large: 46oz
super size: 54oz

So, one of the items I will put in my time machine is a Whataburger medium cup. Getting out, I will hold it up and proclaim "In the future, THIS is a medium drink!"

Another item that occurred to me last week while watching an old Humphry Bogart movie; 1 of 3 middle-class people is a millionaire!
In "The Big Sleep" Bogart was referring to his client, a rich guy as loaded; "a millionaire". As I recall, this was the standard for rich guys back 50 years ago. During the last presidential election campaign (2001-2008) candidate McCain was asked how much you would need to have to be considered rich. "5 Million?" he ventured.
Not to bum out the population of 50 years ago, I would leave out certain facts, like a new car can cost you $30 -$45,000, or a decent house will run you upwards of $250,000. Or their 19 cent gasoline (free steak knives with fillup!) just had a run at close to $5 a gallon.

1 comment:

  1. Here's an idea for a future blog: What would we like to hear from someone coming from the future?

    ReplyDelete