Sunday, May 17, 2009

Fear Mongers Meeting 7pm Tonight







Had some thoughts simmering in the skull skillet lately, having to do with what I think of as the "Fear Industry". When there is a great deal of energy being spent on something, and certain people are profiting greatly. . . well, that is an industry.


2009 is the year I began ignoring all the divisive, fearful spokespersons. My motivation? I'm just tired of it. The problem has been that I spend a fair amount of time driving and (used to enjoy) talk radio. 3-5 minutes of it is all I can stand now.


I suppose we'll never be at a place when it isn't "Us" and "Them", and I'm OK with that. Just a little less demonizing would be nice. I've been vague, so here's an example:


"Marriage under attack by the goddless homosexuals!"


Someone once said that to me and in reply I asked "On the day men legally marry other men, what are you going to start doing differently?"


I wasn't being clever, I really wanted to know, because it didn't occur to me MY marriage was under attack.


My fear monger called me a name and retreated so I never found out.


I've read that younger adults are getting their news through "comedy" programs like The Daily Show. I do my catching up with "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" on Saturday mornings.


Just like in days of old, the king could rely on his jester to get the real truth (wrapped in something clever and amusing). Thinking people now do the same. Some things will never change.

No comments:

Post a Comment