Wednesday, May 20, 2009

What Makes an Expert?




New studies on success have drawn an important conclusion: Not talent, good looks, nor good genes, but the opportunity to practice your skill-set over 10,000 hours is the key to being an expert at most disciplines
If we were to think of a full-time 40 hour week over 50 weeks, then with 5 years working in a particular area (with expanding successes, etc.) you may consider yourself "Arrived".

Sounds fair to me...

So here's the question: What is your area of expertise? 'Love to hear some answers.

While I wait, I'll share mine:

Piano Tuning - about 60,000 hours
OK, this also includes teaching piano technology, moving, and other related skills.

Piano Playing - close to 10,000 hours of actual playing (performing). I don't do it as well now as when I was in my mid 20's.

Driving a motor vehicle - started at the age of 13, been putting about 30,000 miles in each year since (1,200,000 miles). 'Don't know what that comes to in hours, but I call myself an expert driver. Nothing else is coming to mind, though I hope there is something important I'm forgetting!

1 comment:

  1. Be sure you add Advising your children - a gazillion hours.
    Doing UU "work" unrelated to music - Eleventy thousand hours.

    I guess I'm an expert at teaching - although no two hours were ever the same! I've put in some major hours of cooking time, but I'm tired of being an expert at that. Bring me some Hamburger Helper! Being an expert wears an old lady out!

    ReplyDelete