Thursday, June 25, 2009

More Death and Dieing

Catchy title huh? Although this may have run off my reader, I'll admit now I'm mostly writing for myself. Today was a rough one for the celebrity world, Farrah and MJ both checked out. One expected, one sudden and without warning.

Something similar happened yesterday. A long-time friend and colleague also checked out suddenly without warning. Ironically the day before we were talking about all we had been through with our mothers in the last 2 years. Attempting to manage their slow baby steps toward transition.

Even though the slow dieing process is tough on everyone, it gives you time to get used to the idea. When someone just quites breathing like my friend DL, it just sends a shock wave out over everyone. This, of course isn't something we get to choose, but if we did, I'll admit, I would rather take a little time.

Several years ago, another friend was one of the first I knew to get AIDS while working on a cruise ship. There was a kind of going away party for him at a local nightclub (while he still had the strength to attend). After thanking me for coming, he said, "Bil the one good thing about this disease is that it gives you time to put your house in order".

I guess that is the one good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment