Tuesday, August 11, 2009

I could Have Sung All Night...


Ever go through one of those periods when you are waiting for a shift? Something to happen that changes your pattern. I've been in one of those waiting periods.


As several of my friends have died (or are dieing as we speak) I began to think of my bucket list. Ah, the touchstone of all: When I get to the end, will there be a bunch of ideas I thought of (but didn't follow up on)? It is said that in the end, we seldom regret what we did, but more often what we didn't do in this life. Well, I don't think I'll have that problem. (ha).


One of the things I have wanted to do for several years now is to sing in a large, amazing choir. I recently noticed, I am not doing this.

So, a couple of months ago I started searching for this choir I am fated to sing with. I'm too old for the Vienna Boys Choir, and the wrong belief for The Mormon Tabernacle. So I checked with Google. (hail Google! Someday someone will write a choir anthem for thee!).

I discovered there was a dandy outfit that rehearses just a few miles from my house. Well, whadda know? I contacted someone through their website, and was told I could come for an audition August 12. I put the date on my calendar and didn't think much about it after that.


Thanks to the bliss that is ignorance, I found the church on time, then the music department (it was a large church). I started meeting people and was greeted warmly. I just was given names, so a dozen or so faces and names were before me.


Then we went into a small... kind of a waiting room (I thought). There were 6 people in there that I assumed were also auditioning. I filled out a few lines on an application, then... pow! Up to sing.


I did alright, didn't embarrass myself or my family. They asked me to step out while they conferred. Then I realized they were the jury. Later I realized the jury was made up of the Director, assistant director, and the 4 section leaders. Holy Crap! Thank you ignorance!


I was then given a tour of the facilities where the group's concerts are given; a 1000 seat sanctuary with awesome acoustics. As we were walking back to the rehearsal space, I was being caught up with info on the last tour abroad (Italy, including the Vatican), and plans for the next tour (Ireland, 2011). I was also welcomed aboard by the director.


What had I stumbled on? The next 2 hours we rehearsed our tails off. This is a 90-120 voice professional Choral Society that often works with orchestras, etc.

So, mixed emotions: I feel blessed to have been accepted, and I feel like a Homer for not even understanding what I was up for.

3 comments:

  1. That is incredible and such an amazing experience. Congratulations! :)
    ~Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very thrilling, Cubil! It didn't take them long to recognize your talent, so no "Don't call us, we'll call you" kind of message. Some of my favorite memories include my choir experiences, and we wish you good luck on this new page you have turned. We still need to have that tea - to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Who knew? I've said it before and I'll say it again. It's amazing the things we don't know about each other in this Land of Blog.

    I'll be expecting a video...or at bare minimum...an audio clip at some point, right? Right.

    ReplyDelete