Friday, September 18, 2009

What is True and Good?


I wanted to call this piece "It's all Bullshit" but realized it might turn off a few people.


I was having a conversation with a dear female friend of mine a year or two ago. This gal is a few years older than me, that makes her early 60's. Working, and viable, but not a spring chicken.


She has done well for herself in making a rewarding life, self-realized, etc. But she does not have a partner sharing it with her.


My friend, (we'll call her "Happy") explained she would be glad to have a man around to share it but there just has not been anyone the caliber she would want.


I understand that.



I replied "as we get older, our bullshit detector gets honed very fine, and unfortunately, BS is what makes the world go 'round." I realize I am suggesting that many guys are full of it, so let me make it clear: I'm suggestion many guys are full of it.



I wish this were not true, but it is.



Did you ever wonder why there is no radio station for older adults? It is because they don't respond to the advertising radio stations do for the consumer goods. Younger audiences however, do. So Boomers, be prepared; you're next. Classic Rock? Next on the chopping block!

Take your pick from our cultural buffet:



  • Reality TV

  • Virtual Reality

  • Google ads suggesting you can shop for your reality

Enough of the negative. Let's talk about what is real.


I'm sitting out on the back deck, being bitten by bugs, and THAT is real. If I were to make a fire in the chiminara, THAT would be real. I have yet to have a fire take a break for a commercial interruption.


I would love to hear from YOU. What is REAL in your life? It requires filtering out a great deal of what is being offered out there. What do you rely on? How do you get it? What happens when you go without it?

2 comments:

  1. You - as usual- got me thinking about what is real. Cat hair is real. My husband is real, which can be a curse and a blessing. He does not know how to lie, so if you want his opinion, be ready for it! My church was real until it became a teenager and wanted to try out so many new things at once that it has left me behind. Your music is real. I use it to center myself when the unreal creeps too close. When shall we have tea?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you reminded me of that, I'll check my calendar when I get home... very soon I hope!

    ReplyDelete