Thursday, September 10, 2009

Costa Whata?



Just returned from a much anticipated tour of Costa Rica. Very cool, and even if there ARE people who do this sort of thing all the time, I felt it was the trip of a life-time. You've already heard about it (if you haven't been numerous times), so I won't go into all the stuff about how there was beauty everywhere, and friendly people, bla-bla.

Me, I, Cubil will cut to the chase and just report the things I learned while down there

(small crowd shows it's approval: a smatering of applause).

  • organized commercial tours are not awful, in fact, they're pretty good!

  • I feel closer to people from that part of the world

  • There are some still Unattractive Americans out there *

  • The food there is not totally foreign, but there are some Unidentified Frying Objects (and fresh fruits) to provide adventure of the gastronomic kind.

OK, I'll expand a bit-

The Commercial Tours (We used Caravan)... nice! Not just because of getting great value (you do), but you get to know people from all over the country for 10 days. As much as I enjoy planning things like this, leaving it up to experts didn't bother me one bit. It was fine NOT driving around the country trying to find things, it was fine that each day was planned to be more awesome than the day before. Now, hand me my walker, I need to go to the bathroom.

I got to practice my Spanish in a real world situation with people who don't speak English. I loved it! 'Got an insight into what it could be to really talk good one day! And yes, we mingled with real locals, not just the extras planted for our enjoyment along the route. As I said, it was cool. When we got back we grocery shopped at Fiesta and without thinking, I started a conversation (in Spanish) with an employee in produce about pineapples.**

On the U.A. issue, what I saw (from fellow travelers) wasn't ugly as much as a subtle rudity. More of a lack of sensitivity. And to be fair, I only saw it twice in 10 days.

When I'm away from home, I try to act like a good guest, and accept things as they come without rating everything. The incident I'm thinking of in particular happened on leaving (end of tour).

We were working towards finishing up with our guide (Sergio) when a fellow traveless (mid-age woman) started telling him about how they lived in xxxxxxxx and how he should look them up if he's ever there, the usual insincere crap people say. Then she goes "we'll put you up in a tent in the backyard, it has a very nice view of the bay". Thinking this is a big kidding thing, I join in with an inquiry about the quality of the tent.

It was Sergio's reaction that clued me to what it really was: This woman had a need to announce to him how much better she is than him. She didn't come back with "oh, I'm just teasing" followed by a sincere statement of appreciation. And worse, I seemed to be participating! For a while I told myself this woman simply was ignorant of social graces (and that IS true), but what is truer is: she was a bitch!

Later, I thanked Sergio and tried to give a sincere message of appreciation, but I could tell; he had written me off as "one of them".

'Didn't mean to make this post steer to the negative, it WAS a great trip I would do over in a heartbeat.

Isn't it funny how clear the one harsh moment stands out in the mind over 999 other terrific moments?


*formally known as "Ugly Americans"



** I now know impressive new things about picking ripe pineapples

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy, but not surprised, that you had a wonderful time! UAs make me shudder with embarrassment, and Sergio has probably seen every type. I hear wonderful things about CR, and I loved Rita's and Karin's pictures. Use the memory eraser to get rid of the be-itchy lady. Wallow in the good memories. As Coffee says, addy-ose

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really resent it when these unconscious Americans paint a picture for all the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete