Thursday, April 9, 2009

Double Lake


March 31, 2009


Hanging out at one of our favorite places, Double Lake in East Texas. We've been coming here as a family since day one as I recall. More than 30 years of camping at this location has loads of memories of times with our kids when they were little, cousins, friends, and the many times it was just Rita and me.

Back in the early 80's, we were living in a house off 59 north (the East-Tex Freeway). 'Just getting the piano business started, our office was in the bedroom of the small house we rented. The only way to get a break was to leave the house. Double Lake was a one hour drive, and we packed the tent and came up here lots in those days. The tent camping was $5 a night, and everybody loved coming here.

This is the closest I'll ever get to Walden Pond. I hope to get to visit W.P. so I can find out if
the two are as alike as I think they are. To hear Henry David go on, you might think it is a paradise, but I'm told it's nice, but nothing earth-shaking.
That description could fit Double Lake, a golden colored pond more or less, surrounded by pines, oaks, and small wildlife. There's a small beach, and the swimming is good in the summer, the water runs warm with cold spots in the deep end. Bike trails were added some years ago and running them is a favorite pastime of mine. That, along with hiking. Maybe not earth-shaking, but the best nature get-away anywhere near Houston.

Last Summer we went out on the Lone Star Trail and got lost on the way back. The trail we were returning on just quit. Thinking we would pick it up 50 feet over, we forced our way through the thick brush without finding it. This area is thick brush much of it dead, but still with thorny brambles. We fought (by fought, I mean every step was earned) through it for a couple of hours before finding another trail. This one also came to an end. The Thicket is very weird where we were... there is no sign of life, no birds, frogs, very erie.

At that point I called the park on my cell phone. The nice fellow tried to help us find our way, but he was not sure where we were either. When trails change direction, it's easy to lose track of where you actually are. Since our bodies were not discovered and you're reading this, you know we made it back. An adventure, but not one I want to do again soon.

At this moment I have a very nervous dog pacing the campsite as we all listen to a coyotes or a pack of wild dogs howling in the distance. Brandi is not wanting to meet whatever is making that crazy noise. Well, I don't want to meet them either, but it sounds far off, so I think we're OK. . .

One morning when we were tent camping, we were listening to the birds and other morning sounds in the tent. We heard something not quite familiar... it sounded like weird talking. On leaving the tent we discovered a parrot hanging out in our camp. We made every attempt to rescue it, but it always flew just out of reach. I'm guessing that parrot lived a shorter life, out in the National Forest, But if I were him, I would think it was definitely worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment