Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Walkin' In Memphis





An obvious title for the weekend ('sorry about that). Spousal Unit, me and our couple-friends went to see the city while attending a regional church leadership conference. Now back, and digesting the highlights. First, Memphis is lovely in April. I know, what place isn't lovely in April? You got me there... but if you go, I would suggest April or May.

First, you know it's a Music town; one that I suspect will one day change it's name to Elvisville. It's not only about Elvis, but if the town were a mall, E would be the Macy's.
Wisely, they promote their other historical figures, WC Handy, and all the fellas recording in Sun Studios along with the soul men of Stax Records, etc. As I write I'm thinking of all the places we did not get to in our few days (We did have to put time in at the conference).

I'll talk about the conference separate from this post... 'just talk about the town here.
It does have that Southern city atmosphere you get in Atlanta, Jackson, etc. It comes down to the history of the way people relate to each other; they're more polite to start with. Local cuisine I give an A+. Really, southern cooking is what my Grannie fed me as a tiny cubil, I was right at home there.

First off, 'saw the Peabody Ducks make their appearance in the lobby and march to the fountain. 'Been wanting to see that for many years, and was not disappointed. Since I seem to be rambling, I'll condense this: We took the City Tour where they brought us by for a once-over of the highlights-
The (empty) Pyramid
Mud Island (NEW THIS YEAR: LESS MUD!)
St Jude Hospital (Please don't pose with the sick kids)
GRACELAND (see below)
Sun Studio (nifty)
Gibson Guitar (cool, but next visit)
The Rock and Soul Museum (ditto)
Beal Street (must do, day or night)
Stax Museum (next visit)

And that was just the beginning. You need a solid week to soak it up. The first two items on the list I was not familiar with. The Pyramid is much like our Astrodome; a big empty white elephant. 'Used to have basketball games and concerts in it. I'm not an acoustician (oh wait, yes I am 'just can't spell) but I'm thinking a pyramid would be a nightmare place to hear a concert. Don't know what the other problems were, but they ditched it after 10 years of use for a regular arena venue.

As appalling as Mud Island sounds, it seemed like a cool place to spend an afternoon. A park on the Mississippi river where the family can hang out a do park things. Cool feature: you ride a monorail to the island. AND it is not just mud, it is green and nice looking.

Let's cut to the Queen Momma of all: Graceland!!!

After pining to see Big E's home, I finally arrived. "The Platinum Tour Please". Sounds pricey, and it is a little. But this is the real reason to come to Memphis so you don't care. The airplanes are right out front so you know this is going to be cool! I don't want to critique it or give much away, just to say (Hoping I'm not the only one reading this that hasn't already been there) if you have not been, GO!

Alright, so I was 10 before I realized Elvis was not an actual member of our family, but we are talking the King of Rock and Roll here. So Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment