Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Oh Bury Me Now On the Lone Prairie...


The natural process of death has not been something visited on me or my family very often. Not sure why, but some folks I know seen to attend a funeral every couple of months.

I HAVE dealt with the passing of my mother last year, and had an active role in that funeral service, and last week attended the visitation for a friend that suddenly died. The two funeral home experiences have convinced me of this: I don’t want one.

‘Don’t mean I want everyone to just forget me, what I don’t want is an open casket funeral. Both the people I just mentioned were in their final years, and disease had had it’s way with their physical form. The individual in the box was not even a close approximation of the person I will always remember.

Just to show I’m not being self-effacing or introvert or whatever, I’m all for a token for friends and family to remember me; build me a statue about 120% life size (I’ve always wanted to be over 6 feet tall) in some kind of heroic pose – maybe with an electric guitar in my hand. The plaque might say “Five chords and a dream”. That will make strangers wonder, ‘might make everybody wonder.


1 comment:

  1. We saw that statue in person on our visit to Memphis last April

    ReplyDelete